CO.PT Domain Registration Commercial Service
CO.PT offers, since 1999, the possibility to register domains under the co.pt and lda.pt designations. The domain registration is free, without any formality and can be made by companies, individuals or entities, provided that in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of service provision.
The registration procedure is made online, in real time. Once a domain is registered, it becomes active in a few minutes. The procedure consists of five steps:
1. Domain Search
You may start by checking if the desired domain is available. For this purpose, you must use the http://whois.co.pt service.
2. Select one of this options:
- Self hosting: If your website is or will be housed, in its own server or server of a contractor, the Self hosting option is the most appropriate.
- Domain Forwarding: If you already have a website and want to get an address easier to use, you may choose the URL Forwarding option, indicating your website’s current address. In this option, the registered domain forwards users to the indicated address.
- Temporary page: If your website is under construction or only intends to reserve the desired domain, you should choose the option Temporary Page. By registering the domain, you will be able to define a brief welcoming statement for your website
- Self Server: If you have your own servers with dedicated IP, this is the best option. In this option you will be able to configure the general IP of your server as well as the IP of the MX (mail server).
- Domain + Hosting: Create your domain and hire a low cost hosting service.
- Google Apps: Web-based office tools hosted by Google to streamline setup, minimize maintenance, and reduce IT costs. Try the free edition of Google Apps.
3. Data fill-in
After selecting the appropriate service for the intended domain, you must fill out the information requested on the registration form.
4. Registry confirmation
After submitting the registration form you are presented with a data confirmation page. You should carefully check whether the data are correct. Once the registration procedure is completed, your domain will be activated within minutes.
The domain activation is temporary. On the payment reception date, the activation will be permanent.
5. Service payment
Payments can be made by check, money order, bank transfer and credit card (PAYPAL). The domain will be reserved for a period of 15 days. After this time period, if the payment has not been made, the domain will be suspended. The applicant will be notified by email of the permanent activation or automatic deactivation of the registration.