New IBM Power S922: the fastest IBM i Single-Core option ever
IBM recently launched the IBM Power S922 single-core, which costs less than the S914 and is twice as fast as the S812.
On July 14, IBM launched a revamped, single-core version of the IBM Power S922 server for IBM customers looking to replace the Power S812, Power S914, as well as previous versions.
What is behind this new model?
The drivers for IBM to develop this model were the need for a small, single socket offering, based on the Power 9 platform, that had native IBM i implementation.
The only POWER9-based 1-socket offering is the S914, which for some customers does not fit into the rack space, company feature requirements or IBM i licensing.
In addition, the end-of-life (EOL) scheduled for the Power S812 single-core will be on August 31, 2020, and therefore an attractive cost-efficient option for a POWER9 has been created.
This new server option is ideal for organizations without high storage resource requirements, and compared to the two models whose Power S922 is intended to replace, it has a much more competitive value than the other existing options and is twice as fast as the S812.
Advantages of the IBM Power S922 single-core
- The new model is approximately 10% more affordable than the S914 with 4-core processor;
- The S922 1-core for IBM i is 2 times faster (CPW) than the S812;
- Memory limited to 64GB RAM. Limited IO support;
- No changes in HW (Firmware Treated) design, warranty or maintenance, and PowerVM;
- IBM i will run natively when 1-core feature codes are present, eliminating the need for VIOS;
- The same limit for the number of users as in the S812 which is 25 users;
- Provides industry leading PCIe Gen4 I/O;
Eurotux is currently the company with the largest IBM Power customer base in Portugal, so its experience is an asset for organizations that decide to bet on this technology. The fact of having the status of IBM Gold Business Partner attests to the excellence of its employees and gives all the guarantees for the implementation of projects with this technology.